Friday, July 25, 2014

My Daughter in History

On March 31st, 2014 my digital was dead and I was told that it was the day Moroni would be put on top of the Provo City Center Temple. I didn't know what time, so I stashed my film camera in my bag and went along my day. Rubye and I just ran an errand and on the way back we drove by the temple and there was Moroni laying on the ground with people all around. So we parked and thought we would watch. We live just down the street so I called a neighbor and told her it was happening, so she came with her children to watch with us. We even made it on the news. Yes, un-showered, glasses on, pony-tail in, and an oversized plaid shirt - me, made it on the news saying how its not every day you get to watch this kind of history being made. I mostly wanted to document for Rubye that she was there. When she is 30 or 40-something and brings her children to Utah, as all mormons do at some point, when she stands in front of this temple she can talk about how she was here, how she sat on that bench and watched, and clapped and shouted "Yay! Temple!" I think that's important. 





Provo, UT

While we're talking about my daughter, I do have one. I seldom put her on here because at the beginning of a semester at school one of my professors gave a long speech to the class, 90% of which were girls, about how being a photo student was a poor choice. How being a photographer was pointless for a career. How he knows several photographers whose real job is being a grocery clerk so they can support there family and they photograph on the side, nothing really coming of it. And if we are being a photo student just so we can take good photographs of our children then it was a waste of our time and an education. That's what I got out of it at least. I left that class so upset and mad I could have punched someone in the face, instead I swore I would not get married, have children and only photograph them, and blog about them. So that has led to an extreme lack of good photos of my daughter. She is mostly photographed on a cell phone, and sometimes put on facebook via instagram.  So, here is my one blog post for a while to come about Rubye. I love her very much, and I think she is beautiful. These are her 2 year portraits her great grandma had to ask me to take and send to her. I am no Sally Mann, nor have I ever intended to be. Remember I am still working on who I am as a photographer, but I know I am a photographer.  


Rexburg, ID


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures Emily! Your daughter is so darling and such a cute mix of two amazing parents. Remember- you define you and where you'll go with your photography. Period. Keep at it- the love and care you take shows in your photographs. The last photo especially is WOW!

    ReplyDelete